Who needs to submit Form DS-260?
Form DS-260, also known as the “Immigrant Visa Electronic Application,” is a form that needs to be submitted by foreign nationals who have been selected for immigrant visas through the U.S. Diversity Visa (DV) lottery program or are seeking immigrant visas through family-sponsored or employment-based immigration categories. It’s an important step in the process of applying for an immigrant visa to the United States. Here’s a breakdown of who needs to submit Form DS-260:
- Diversity Visa (DV) Lottery Winners: Foreign nationals who have been selected as winners in the U.S. Diversity Visa (DV) lottery program are required to submit Form DS-260 as part of the process to apply for their immigrant visas.
- Family-Sponsored Immigrant Visa Applicants: Foreign nationals who are applying for immigrant visas based on a qualifying family relationship with a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident petitioner often need to submit Form DS-260. This applies to various family preference categories, including immediate relatives (spouses, parents, and unmarried children under 21) and certain other relatives.
- Employment-Based Immigrant Visa Applicants: Foreign nationals who are applying for immigrant visas based on employment-based categories, such as employment preferences (EB-2, EB-3) or other specialized employment categories, are typically required to submit Form DS-260.
- Other Immigrant Visa Categories: Some other immigrant visa categories, such as special immigrant visas (SIVs) for certain employees of the U.S. government or international organizations, might also require the submission of Form DS-260.
Form DS-260 is an electronic form that is submitted online through the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) website. It collects information about the applicant’s background, biographical details, family information, and other relevant details. It’s an important part of the overall process of obtaining an immigrant visa to the United States.
Please keep in mind that immigration processes and forms can change over time, so it’s essential to refer to the most up-to-date information provided by the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. embassy or consulate handling your case when determining whether you need to submit Form DS-260.
How can I access my DS-260 form?
To access your DS-260 form, follow these steps:
- Visit the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) Website: Go to the official CEAC website, which is the online platform for submitting and managing immigrant visa and diversity visa applications.
- Log In or Create an Account: If you’ve previously started or submitted a DS-260 form, you can log in to your existing account using your username and password. If you’re accessing the form for the first time, you’ll need to create a new account.
- Select the Appropriate Form: Once you’re logged in, you’ll see a list of available forms. Look for the DS-260 form, which is typically labeled as “Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application.”
- Access Your Application: Click on the DS-260 form link to access your application. You can then view, edit, and update the information you’ve already provided. If you haven’t started the form yet, you can begin a new application.
- Review and Edit: Review the information you’ve entered in the DS-260 form. If you need to make any changes or updates, you can do so within the online form.
- Save Your Progress: As you make changes, be sure to save your progress regularly to ensure that you don’t lose any information.
- Submit the Form: Once you’ve reviewed and updated the form as needed, you can submit it electronically. After submission, you’ll receive a confirmation page.
- Print the Confirmation Page: It’s a good idea to print the confirmation page or save it as a PDF for your records. This page contains important information about your submission.
Remember that the DS-260 form is an important part of the immigrant visa application process, so make sure to provide accurate and complete information. If you have any questions or encounter any technical issues while accessing or completing the form, you can refer to the official CEAC website’s help resources or contact the U.S. embassy or consulate handling your case for assistance.
How to fill out Form DS-260?
Filling out Form DS-260, the “Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application,” is an important step in the process of applying for an immigrant visa to the United States. This form is typically submitted by foreign nationals who have been selected for the U.S. Diversity Visa (DV) lottery program or are seeking immigrant visas through family-sponsored or employment-based immigration categories. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to fill out Form DS-260:
Access the CEAC Website:
- Go to the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) website
- Log in using your username and password. If you don’t have an account, you’ll need to create one.
Select the Form:
- After logging in, select the “Immigrant Visa” tab.
- Click on the “Start Now” button under the “IV and Alien Registration” section.
- Choose the specific immigrant visa application type (e.g., Diversity Visa, Family-sponsored, Employment-based) and click “Submit.”
Complete the Form:
- Carefully read the instructions provided on each page before filling out the form.
- Provide accurate and complete information for each section. Fields marked with a red asterisk (*) are mandatory and must be filled out.
- Sections of the DS-260 form include Personal Information, Address and Phone, Passport Information, Travel Information, Previous U.S. Travel, Family Information, Work/Education/Training, and more.
Upload Supporting Documents:
- Some sections of the DS-260 form may require you to upload supporting documents. These documents could include passport photos, birth certificates, marriage certificates, police clearances, and more.
- Make sure to follow the specific document requirements for each section.
Review and Edit:
- Review the information you’ve entered to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- If you need to make any changes, you can edit the information before submission.
Sign and Submit:
- Once you’ve completed all the sections and uploaded the required documents, review the entire form.
- Electronically sign the form by typing your name in the signature box. This serves as your digital signature.
- Click the “Sign and Submit Application” button.
Print the Confirmation Page:
- After submitting the form, you’ll receive a confirmation page with a barcode. Print this page or save it as a PDF for your records.
- This confirmation page is required for your visa interview.
Pay the Visa Processing Fee:
- Depending on the visa category and your circumstances, you might need to pay the visa processing fee. Follow the instructions provided on the CEAC website to pay the fee.
Attend the Visa Interview:
- After submitting Form DS-260 and paying the required fees, you’ll be scheduled for a visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate.
- Bring the printed confirmation page and all required supporting documents to the interview.
Remember that the DS-260 form collects important information for your visa application, so accuracy is crucial. If you’re uncertain about any aspect of the form or need guidance on specific questions, consider seeking assistance from the U.S. embassy or consulate handling your case or consulting with an immigration attorney.